1270 -1469: Gothic Period
from 1064, several documents certified the existence of the Family de
Cardaillac in Quercy.
Bertrand of Cardaillac the 1st, at the origin of the Cardaillac St Cirq
branch, could be the founder of the gothic chateau, a part of which remains
The first mention of the Lordship of Cieurac appears in an official deed
contracted in 1271. Besieged and held by the English during the Hundred
Years War, around 1284, repurchased by the Consuls of Cahors in 1358,
the chateau is handed back over .to the Cardaillac Family.
Upon royal decision, as a reprisal for their alliance with the Dukes of
Bourgogne and the Black Prince of England against the King of France,
Louis the 11th, the Cardaillac's mansion is dismantled.
1470 - 1630:
de Cardaillac, Combaron of Cardaillac, Baron of St-Cirq, Lord of Cieurac
together with his oldest son Jacques built the main part of castle. The
power of the Family, at its height at that time, can be read in the unions
fixed on the culs-de lampes carved in height-relief and its sumptuous
staircase, which remains a main architectural example not reproduced yet.
The second floor will disappear under the period of Richelieu, Antoine
Hector de Cardaillac having become to the Calvinism around 1615.
1631 - 1792:
In 1733, Jacques de Cardaillac, Baron of Cieurac (female lineage) built
a kitchen connecting the gallery to the main gothic building.
The Revolution will stop the development of the castle.
The gothic chapel and the gallery are destroyed.
The castle is bought by auction as national property.
1944 - today
: The Second World War - The restoration
In 1944, the Division Das Reich, searching for
the Maquisards, set the castle on fire.
Seriously damaged it will remain in utter neglect up to 1974. Since that
time and over 20 years, the chateau has been restored under the control
of the chief architect of the National Monuments.
Open to the public, the site has been continuously embellished through
maintenance and renovations such as a bread-oven, recently open, and the
addition of two more fountains in the grounds.